PEP #99484663

Fernando Pérez fperez528 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 14 14:05:16 EST 2002

bboman at research.panasonic.com wrote:

> I could go into a long explanation as to why block delimiters are
> useful but I will just say that when you cut and paste a block of code
> from one nested block loop into another block at a different
> indentation level it is much nicer and much less error prone to just
> tell emacs to re-indent the entire function than to manually adjust
> each line.

And it's even nicer (and safer) to highlight the pasted block and put it
_exactly_ at the indentation level where it should be with C-> and C-<.
That's why python-mode has those two critical keystrokes, they are vital for
reorganizing safely the logic of large pieces of code. Far better than
relying on a keyword-based indentation guess. You do it, and you tell the
editor exactly where the code should go.

Cheers,

f.