Is it possible to write web-based GUI using Python?

Stephan Diehl stephan.diehl at gmx.net
Fri Nov 29 13:26:56 EST 2002

cmkl wrote:
 > [snip]
>

> It seems to be rather difficult to get a standard answer to
> the question:
>
> "how to develop highly responsive interactive web applications"

The reason might be that there is no general idea what a web application
might be (that's the problem with buzz loaded terms).
For the sake of discussing the thing, a web based application are a
bunch of html pages (dynamically generated) that have some user session
attached to it.

[very big snip]

> I am interested in a discussion of usuable and reliable
> frameworks for this problem (beside Struts and Java applets)

The problem I see so far with web based applications is the complete
different API, a programmer has to use, compared to classical GUI APIs.
I'd like to see the following features by some probably-to-be-written
Web development environment:
The application can be written in a user centric way. That means, there
is no need to load sessions, have a look into GET/POST responses, etc.
All of this is hidden by the framework.
The application would look like similar to a tkinter/wxPython
application. The framework had to do all the magic required to render
the widgets in html, analysing the responses, basicly, running the state
machine.
It should be even possible to decide later on, to which extend parts are
running on the server or the client.

just my two cents

stephan