Kenny Tilton ktilton at nyc.rr.com
Tue Nov 19 12:14:43 EST 2002

Alexander Schmolck wrote:
> Another related problem is that Common Lisp doesn't scale well. It is a big
> and complex language and that's it. While this might be a big productivity win
> for an experienced developer who can leverage a large collection of well
> thought out standard functions, it makes it a bad choice for many other
> scenarios (if you knew neight CL nor python, would you rather have your
> application scripted in python or CL?).

Puzzled. "scale well" to me means "what happens when you try to use it
for a big project" or possibly a small project with big runtime resource
requirements. CL is great at either, precisely because it can do a lot.

In your final query, it sounds like you mean can it scale beyond the
expert few. If so, I think CL is very approachable (easy to get going
productively very quickly) and then one just keeps on learning more and
more cool stuff because it is so rich.

--

  kenny tilton
  clinisys, inc