pyqt rules

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Wed Nov 6 16:37:38 EST 2002

Jim wrote:

> Gerrit Muller wrote:
>
>>>from: http://www.trolltech.com/developer/faqs/noncomm.html
>
>>>"What is the Qt Non-Commercial Edition for Microsoft Windows?
>>>-----------------------------------------------------------
>
>>>You may freely use Qt Non-Commercial Edition for:
>
>>>* Running software legally developed by others
>>>* Developing non-commercial software"
>
>> I  am creating a freely accessible website
>> http://www.extra.research.philips.com/natlab/sysarch/index.html at
>> home as well as during working hours. At both places I work with
>> Windows (strongest dependency is the use of Visio). I maintain the
>> site by means of Python scripts. Taking the above license literal I
>> might use Qt at home for free, but not at work. Yes that is clear, but
>> not stimulating to dive in :-(
>
> You should be able to run eric (which I believe
> was the main complaint). I would think that falls
> in the category "Running software legally developed
> by others"

As far as eric is concerned there is no problem whether you use it for
the development of free software or commercial software because it is
released under the GPL (see license file in the eric directory).
However, if you make money with it, some donations would be welcomed.

> It doesn't seem like you really need Qt for
> development, but if the website is non-commercial,
> the second category above should apply as well. I
> haven't read the license in a long time, but it
> sounds like restrictions are related to development
> only, not use.
>
> However, I don't know if the non-commercial
> version of Qt is recent enough to support all of
> the new features coming in the next eric release.

As far as I know the NC version of Qt is still version 2.something which
is definitely not good enough. Eric requires Qt version 3.x and the next
eric release will require a recent version of PyQt and QScintilla as
well.

> Jim

Detlev
--