The Deitel book (was Re: Textbooks on Perl/Python)

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Wed Nov 6 06:06:33 EST 2002

Chris Gonnerman wrote:
> My favorite (so far) is Steve Holden's "Python Web Programming."
> It covers a lot of territory and includes a lot of neat stuff.
>
> Also enjoyable to read.

As it happens, one thing I did just yesterday was get a birthday
present for a friend, bright but a newbie to programming in general,
who's studying Python -- and upon mature deliberation what I ordered
was indeed Steve's book.  Said friend has done some HTML authoring,
and I think Steve's coverage of many technologies relevant to web
programming as well as Python will be quite helpful to her, and she'll
also appreciate (I think) Steve's knack for friendly explanations and
his readable style.

However, this thread started with a request for a *college-oriented*
textbook, including, in particular, exercises for each chapter, some
with the solution being also given in the book, some without; and
Steve's book does not qualify in that respect, while Deitel and
Deitel's does (though it seems from this thread that, out of the many
technical reviewers of the book, I'm more positive about the way it
finally came out than most others; I wonder how many other posters
to this thread have actually gone to the trouble of checking the
way the book did finally come out -- quite a bit better than the
last few drafts that were widely circulated among reviewers, IMHO,
although I'll be the first to admit that it's far from perfect).

Alex