urllib slow on FreeBSD 4.7?

Brian Quinlan brian at sweetapp.com
Tue Nov 19 19:59:23 EST 2002

dsavitsk wrote:
> I think the best response is to say that as wget was not installed, I
went
> to /usr/ports/ftp/wget
>
> typed "make install" and the necessary files (a few MB worth) were
> retrieved from gnu.org in about 20 seconds.  much faster than the
files I
> am geting w/ urllib.

That doesn't reveal anything interesting. For example, the gnu.org site
might be a lot faster than the one that you were testing, you might have
been experiencing transient network problems when testing urllib, etc.

A good test would use wget and urllib, in an alternating fashion,
several times. It should take you less than five minutes to devise such
as test.

Cheers,
Brian