Python documentation in DocBook

Zoltan Sekeres zoltan at trados.com
Thu Nov 14 04:26:47 EST 2002

Martin v. Loewis wrote:
> Longer-term, I have been considering that using XML might help
> translating the Python documentation to French and German, but I'm
> certain that nobody else has that usage in mind. So I'm wondering what
> other people expect from this, apart from buzzword compliance.

A word from the trenches ...

 From my experience (I work for TRADOS, a translation tools provider) the
translation becomes much easier with XML. With XML it is usually
sufficient to provide a simple config file for our TagEditor product and
it just works.

Actually there is an occasional case where a Latex suport is requested,
but that dies quickly off, because the Latex is inherently hard to parse
so that the translator has enough context to do a good job. Especially
when custom macros are involved it gets tough. Maintenance costs are
just too high to warrant the effort.

--
Zoltan