A vision for Parrot

Frodo Morris graham.lee at wadham.ox.ac.uk
Tue Nov 5 08:17:09 EST 2002

Cameron Laird wrote:
> In article <aq8cut$4pr$1 at news.ox.ac.uk>, Frodo Morris  <""> wrote:
> 			.
>
>>Beowulfs (although why you'd be using byte-compiled languages in
>>parallel computing is beyond me), because you could use inetd or similar
>
> 			.
> 			.
> 			.
> To catch up with the Javans.
Actually, I just thought of a reason!  No, me miss!  Me!!!
<cough>

How cool would it be to just set up a computer with a listening parrotd
and DHCP client, plug it in to the Beowulf and have it automagically
recognised as a node and delegated tasks?
I have been thinking quite a bit about cross-platform Beowulfing
recently.  My initial idea was to set up an rlogin or something on the
node machines, and have the Apple (that's what I call the conducting
machine: "Apple" because it sends Jobs away, does nothing for a while
then gets Jobs back :-) distribute the source code for the node service
and job processor, configure and build the code, then log out and use
the new node as normal.  This would be faster (provided the building
didn't fall over) as Beowulfs go, but less secure and probably harder to
set up.
Comments [rational variety preferred]?
--
FM