Teaching numerics with Python

Michele Simionato mis6 at pitt.edu
Thu Nov 21 09:34:27 EST 2002

Antti Rasila <arasila at pcu.helsinki.fi.invalid> wrote in message news:<arg9lu$85u$1 at oravannahka.helsinki.fi
> ... we would like to  ask, if
>
> 1) ..someone has experience on this kind of usage of Python numerical
> mathematics? We would be happy to hear from your experiences.
>
> 2) ..if some course material and ready program files are available,
> which we could use as building blocks of our course?
>
> 3) ..you have seen a book such as Scientific Computing with Python
>
> Links:
>
> Spring 2002 course homepage:
> http://www.math.helsinki.fi/~arasila/nrc02/

Did you look at http://www.python.org/doc/Newbies.html ?
There is a link to the Handbook of the Physics Computing Course
http://users.ox.ac.uk/~sann1276/python/handbook/
which may be of some interests to you.
I am myself not involved in teaching but I would certainly take
Python as language to teach anything to students.

--
Michele Simionato - Dept. of Physics and Astronomy
210 Allen Hall Pittsburgh PA 15260 U.S.A.