A vision for Parrot

Benjamin Goldberg goldbb2 at earthlink.net
Wed Nov 13 13:57:38 EST 2002

Donal K. Fellows wrote:

> Benjamin Goldberg wrote:
[snip Q: How to do sockets]
> > Just as there are "stdio", "unix", and "win32" ParrotIO layers, one
> > would define a "socket" layer (and maybe an "xti" layer, for the
> > really adventurous).  Obviously, this needs a bit more C code to be
> > added.
> >
> > Once that layer is added, you could read from and write to sockets
> > just like you would from files.
>
> OK, what sequence of bytecodes would instantiate and invoke those
> layers?  The expositions I've found online so far have been rather too
> dry for me to actually see how such a thing could be done.

Umm, err, I don't know... I've merely looked (briefly) at the docs and
source of Parrot, and never programmed for it.  But <handwave>I'm sure
that it *can* be done</handwave>.

> Donal (fed up of hand-waving, particularly in his day job.  Must write
> code...)

Sorry about the handwaving, but it's the best I can offer.  If it can't
be done now, someone will add it in the future.

> "Windows is a car with square wheels (architecture) and a huge engine
> (hype, etc.), capable of of making the car move despite the square
> wheels.  Linux is a car with round wheels but a small engine, capable
> of making the car go despite the small engine."
>                                      -- John Latham <jtl at cs.man.ac.uk>

I would say that Linux has an equally big engine, but a manual
transmission, which discourages folks who are used to automatic.

--
my $n = 2; print +(split //, 'e,4c3H r ktulrnsJ2tPaeh'
."\n1oa! er")[map $n = ($n * 24 + 30) % 31, (42) x 26]