Popular conceit about learning programming languages

Pascal Costanza costanza at web.de
Sun Nov 24 16:56:22 EST 2002

Michele Simionato wrote:
>>I would like to know more specifically what features make Python
>>special to you. As Kenny put it, in what regards is Pythonthink
>>different from Otherlangthink?
>

> Different languages have different "natural" ways of doing things, so
> you have to think accordingly to the language you have at your
> disposal. I want to be specific here, and I take an example you cited
> in this tread, i.e. the problem discussed in
> http://csis.pace.edu/~bergin/patterns/ppoop.html
>
> Here the authors discuss different ways of solving a simple problem in
> the same
> language, according to different phylosophies.

Not quite. The purpose of that paper is to discuss the nature of
object-oriented thinking. It is not specifically about how to find the
best solution for the given problem, it's about how to find an
object-oriented solution. (Non-OO solutions might do the job, perhaps
even better, but that's besides the point.)

Their argument is that classes+design patterns doesn't guarantee
object-orientedness.

Pascal
--
Given any rule, however ‘fundamental’ or ‘necessary’ for science, there
are always circumstances when it is advisable not only to ignore the