No tabs in post PLEASE!!! (was Re: partial list sort)

Mark McEahern marklists at mceahern.com
Thu Oct 10 12:23:09 EDT 2002

I no longer have the post from Alex Martelli, but I wanted to make an
observation in light of his request.  He's asking folks not to use tabs.  I
don't know how onerous that is.  I have emacs set to untabify buffers on
save, so it's not onerous for me.  <wink>  If you find it onerous for you,
you may chose to disregard the request, but consider this:

I'm just guessing, but I don't think Alex is making the request as someone
who often posts questions and receives answers in the form of code.  Alex,
for those of you who don't know, is one of the most prolific and helpful
posters to comp.lang.python.  So there Alex is, helping people left and
right with their code, dealing with tabs.  And he's asking, as a general
courtesy, so that he can continue to help people without having to deal with
converting tabs/indentation himself, that you consider posting code snippets
with spaces.

(I don't pretend to speak for Alex--the above is just my impression.)

Continue with the pointless holy war, but just think of that the next time
you post code.

Cheers,

// mark

p.s.  I apologize for all the times I've cluelessly composed an anwser or a
question in Outlook (instead of emacs) and used tab to indent.

-