Decimal arithmatic, was Re: Python GUI app to impress the boss?

Mark Charsley mark.charsley at REMOVE_THIS.radioscape.com
Tue Oct 1 06:32:00 EDT 2002

In article <mailman.1033391388.30114.python-list at python.org>,
chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net (Chris Gonnerman) wrote:

> Usually, in the "canned" systems I've seen, those 3 for a
> buck deals are supported by allowing three to five decimal
> places rather than just two for amounts.  Results come out
> much as you are expecting there.

The system a previous company wrote said that "if they've bought 3
40p items these give them a discount of 20p". All nice integers: which,
given
a) the checkouts had a slow CPU, limited memory and no FPU
b) the FP software library was huge and slow
was a good thing.

--

Mark - personal opinion only, could well be wrong, not representing
company, don't sue us etc. etc.