[OT} How to un-GPL parts of a GPL'd module.

sismex01 at hebmex.com sismex01 at hebmex.com
Tue Oct 8 12:20:37 EDT 2002

> From: Chris Watson [mailto:opsys at voodooland.net]
>
> > Perhaps you should not be reading the GPL'd code in the
> > first place.  The GPL is a quid-pro-quo agreement.  You
> > get insight into others code, and in exchange you contine
> > to pass on the knowledge.  If it seems unfair or burdensome
> > to benefit others in the same way you were benefited then
> > keep your eyes on your own paper.
>
> I love the GNU "Play by my rules or i'm taking my toys and
> going home" attitude. It's so beneficial to humanity.  If it
> was about passing on knowledge it would be in the public domain
> commons for the benefit of man. As someone stated earlier the
> GPL is a political statement. And we all know where politics
> get us.
>
> Chris

Well, there *is* the problem of corporations trying to take
technology which isn't theirs and gaining zillions off it,
and then burying said technology so other's won't benefit
from it.  It's happened with plenty of BSD technology which
ended up in NT, and then became patented by M$ (IIRC).

Then you see plenty of other technologies which *were* public
domain, or at least didn't have any heavy licensing (or rather,
*formal* licensing) behind them, and then they were copied
by some opportunist and subsequently patented, resulting in
the net loss of said tech.  Take a look at the IRC robot
fiasco going on.

So there actually *is* a need for the GPL, to help keep things
fair; it's no fun to be inventing stuff and then setting it free,
if there's others with no notion of playing fairly taking all,
making zillions, and shutting others out.  There's countless
evidence of it going on every day, you just need take a look
and read around.

Good luck on your search.

-gustavo