4Suite / non-ASCII filenames

Thomas Korb Doc at goodweb.de
Sat Oct 12 09:29:06 EDT 2002

martin at v.loewis.de (Martin v. Loewis) writes:

> Where does this file name come from?

The file names come from various sources; e.g Tk - file select
boxes, but also default filenames (defined in the script),
file names passed as arguments on the commandline (Linux only) etc.
But I always encode them as ISO-8859-1

> Can you arrange it to be a Unicode string instead?

Would be no problem (but passing a Unicode-filename to the XSLT-
processor leads to a similar error).

> What system are you using?

I am using Linux and MS Windows (98/NT and XP for test-purposes only).

I did not really check the Ft-sources (just had a quick glance at it).
But I have the feeling that they rely on the default encoding when
dealing with filenames. And since I do not want to use sitecustomize.py,
I do not know how to solve this problem.

(Is there a good reason why sys.setdefaultencoding() is not allowed in
scripts? This is not the first time that I would need something like that.)

Thomas

Dr. Thomas Korb  /  GOODWEB.DEsign  /  www.goodweb.de  /  Doc at goodweb.de