No tabs in post PLEASE!!! (was Re: partial list sort)

Daniel T. a at b.c
Thu Oct 10 12:21:40 EDT 2002

Nicola Musatti <Nicola.Musatti at ObjectWay.it> wrote:

> Daniel T. wrote:
>
> > I agree with you that if someone wants maximum coverage, they should
> > work with the lowest common denominator, but I don't think those who use
> > systems that can't even handle the ASCII character set should be
> > imploring the rest of us to conform to their handicapped system.
>
> You don't need a "handicapped system" to be hinderd by tabs in email.
> It's enough to have a reader that prepends '> ' to quoted text.

Maybe you need a reader that handles tabs correctly...

> And *everyone* that posts on Usenet wants maximum coverage.

That is not true. Those who are asking for help or advice may very well
be wanting maximum coverage. Those who are despensing the advice may not
really care.

Again, if this was the case of someone wanting to know why their post
was ignored, and others were saying "I ignored it because the tabs
messed things up." I would have no problem. But when it's the case of a
few people telling everyone else, "I can't read your messages because
you put tabs in them, please don't do that so I can read your messages."
Then I have to say Boo hoo, either get a program that can handle tabs,
or don't bother reading those messages.

It's not like tabs were some new fangled thing that no one ever heard of
before. They've been around since the rest of the ASCII character set
has.