How do I invoke IE browser from Python on Mac OS X?

Paul Jackson pj at engr.sgi.com
Sun Oct 20 21:34:46 EDT 2002

Erik wrote (of the Mac OS X open(1) command):
> I presume this is just a command that can be executed from the shell.

Yes - it appears so.

> >            ... For example, the fol-
> >            lowing  command  would open all WriteNow files in the cur-
> >            rent working directory:
> >
> >                 open *.wn
>
> ... if so, this is a curious comment in the man page, since filename
> globbing is done by the shell, not the program.

Not really.  It's just saying that open of several file
arguments will open each one.  Say you had in your directory:

    foo.wn	bar.wn

then this comment is equivalent to saying that:

    open foo.wn bar.wn

will open both foo and bar.  No claim is being made here
for something like DOS-style glob parsing (expansion by
each command instead of by the shell).

Granted - whomever wrote that man page line may well not have
clearly understood this distinction.
                          I won't rest till it's the best ...
                          Programmer, Linux Scalability
                          Paul Jackson <pj at sgi.com> 1.650.933.1373