question on global variables

Harry George hgg9140 at seanet.com
Wed Oct 9 23:27:24 EDT 2002

mongo57a at comcast.net writes:

> Somewhat new to Python here.....
>
> I want to change/use a value throughout my program - what I would normally
> refer to as a "global" variable.
>
> I see that there is a "global" command - and I assume its use would be
> global var_name. This I have coded (works) but I am unable to use it "global
> name var_name is not defined".
>
> TIA

mydata=0
print mydata --> 0

def myfunc1(x):
    mydata=x

myfunc1(5)
print mydata --> 0

def myfunc2(x):
    global mydata
    mydata=x

myfunc2(5)
print mydata --> 5

That is, "global" allows globally defined data to be modified from
inside a function.  Otherwise it is read only, and treated as a local
variable.

Of course, you should consider capturing "global" data in some object,
so you can isolate it if you need to do threads.