Stringify object reference?

Alan Kennedy alanmk at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 11 13:17:33 EDT 2002

holger krekel wrote:

> Python's id of an object 'id(obj)' won't help you at all.  There
> is no mechanism for reinstantiating an object by its serialized
> id.  You probably should look for CORBA-Orbs such as Fnorb or
> OmniORB.  Or maybe the Zope Object DataBase (ZODB) would fit
> your needs.
>
> A bit more context might help us to help you <wink>.

As I mentioned in my original post, I want to annotate (generic) XML
tree-like object models (e.g. DOM, etc) with my own python objects.

The only way I can see to do it  is to to store my objects, or a
reference thereto, into an XML attribute, which limits me to some
ascii/charset representation.

I realise I could pickle() the whole object, and put that into the
attribute. But that would be highly memory inefficient, unless I delete
the original object that was pickled, which would be time inefficient.

I'm beginning to think I have to maintain my own namespace/dictionary
for these things, indexed by id(object). Which is an acceptable
solution.

Is there a specific reason why id()'s can't be turned back into objects?
Is it an implementation specific thing? Or is it to stop people messing
with pointers, etc?

Regards,

alan kennedy