Stringify object reference?

Alan Kennedy alanmk at
Fri Oct 11 19:17:33 CEST 2002

holger krekel wrote:
> Python's id of an object 'id(obj)' won't help you at all.  There
> is no mechanism for reinstantiating an object by its serialized
> id.  You probably should look for CORBA-Orbs such as Fnorb or
> OmniORB.  Or maybe the Zope Object DataBase (ZODB) would fit
> your needs.
> A bit more context might help us to help you <wink>.

As I mentioned in my original post, I want to annotate (generic) XML
tree-like object models (e.g. DOM, etc) with my own python objects.

The only way I can see to do it  is to to store my objects, or a
reference thereto, into an XML attribute, which limits me to some
ascii/charset representation.

I realise I could pickle() the whole object, and put that into the
attribute. But that would be highly memory inefficient, unless I delete
the original object that was pickled, which would be time inefficient.

I'm beginning to think I have to maintain my own namespace/dictionary
for these things, indexed by id(object). Which is an acceptable

Is there a specific reason why id()'s can't be turned back into objects?
Is it an implementation specific thing? Or is it to stop people messing
with pointers, etc?

alan kennedy
check http headers here:
email alan: