isFloat: Without Exception-Handling

Chad Netzer cnetzer at mail.arc.nasa.gov
Fri Oct 4 23:19:44 EDT 2002

On Friday 04 October 2002 19:31, Jeff Epler wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 06:05:19PM -0700, Chad Netzer wrote:

> > def isFloat(s):
> >     try: return float(s) or True
> >     except (ValueError, TypeError), e: return False
>
> You mean
> def isFloat(s):
>     try: return (float(s), True)[1]
>     except (ValueError, TypeError), e: return False

Is there any instance when these will be different?  I assume float() will
always return type< float >, and so not overload the 'and'.  In which case,
my version doesn't have to construct a tuple (so possibly it's faster).

Just curious; for the specific case and'ing with a float, I can't think where
mine might go wrong (not off the top of my head, anyway).

--

Chad Netzer
cnetzer at mail.arc.nasa.gov