Is there a "reset" in Idle?

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at
Fri Oct 11 17:43:59 CEST 2002

Dale Strickland-Clark wrote in comp.lang.python:
> Michael Hudson <mwh at> wrote:
>>Dale Strickland-Clark <dale at> writes:
>>> If I had any influence in the development of Python as a whole, I'd
>>> urge the developers to divert their attention away from sexy new
>>> language features and concentrate for a couple of releases on
>>> addressing shotcomings that shag the IDEs.
>>A couple of points:
>>  1) what shortcomings are these?
> Only a few but critical to the re-usability of the debugging
> environment. I don't remember the technical details but I'm sure
> Google will find the issues if you're really interested.
>>  2) this isn't how OS development works, and you surely know this.
> Who mentioned OSes? I don't understand the relevence of this.

OS is also used as an abbrev. for Open Source.

>>The only people paid to work on Python are at PythonLabs, who are paid
>>by ZC, who in turn probably don't have an overriding interest in
>>interactive debugging.  Everyone else works on Python because it's fun
>>and to scratch an itch, basically.  If you try to make us do what you
>>want rather than what we want, we stop.
> I'm aware of this. However, surely some of the enjoyment comes from
> knowing others are using your efforts? Can you imagine the boost
> Python would get in the programming comminity if a killer IDE appeared
> on the scene?
>>OTOH, if you can come up with concrete suggestions, I'm all ears.
> Suggestion: Address the problem in Python that prevents IDEs from
> reloading modules and re-using a debuggin environment.

That'd be the job of the import-SIG, which was founded for this very
purpose, I think.

Another solution is to run the interpreter in a seperate process.
AFAIK WingIDE does exactly this, and they have even published the
open-source framework that makes this possible.

-- Gerhard