best way to learn

ed coo_t2 at I-hate-spam-yahoo.com
Mon Oct 21 23:09:34 EDT 2002

Hey all.  I'm a python newbie, but I have experience
in other very
high level languages, mainly php.
I was wondering what is the best way to become
proficient in python
quickly?
I'm actually a pretty decent php programmer, so I
don't think I need
something that spends too much time on the basics(ie
loops and if
statements).
I just need to know how things work in python.

I've tried the main tutorial that comes with the
distro, and to be
honest I was kind of disappointed.  It don't seem to
have the linear
quality and cohesiveness that a good tutorial should.
Hope I don't make anyone mad by saying that.

Should I get a book, if so which one?
"Learning python", "programming python", "python
cookbook"?
Or can I get pretty much everything I need on the web,
like a lot of
good tutorials and some good language references?

If I get a book I'd like to get one that works as a
newbie tutorial
but by the end of the book deals with some advanced
topics and will
also work somewhat well as a reference.  Is that
asking too much?

Should I trust the reviews at amazon.com? :)

Any guidance appreciated.

tia,