Is there a "reset" in Idle?

Gerrit Muller gerrit.muller at philips.com
Tue Oct 8 03:20:38 EDT 2002

JXSternChangeX2R wrote:

> Another newbie question.
>
> After I've run a python program a few times and fixed a few bugs, it
> seems that the name spaces are polluted with old values.  Is there any
> kind of a "reset" that clears everything without exiting and
> restarting the process?
>
> Python 2.2 on XP Pro.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Joshua Stern

This issue has been discussed here before. Especially new or naieve
users do not over see the consequence of the ever increasing historic
context. I just finished an e-mail conversation with a potential new
user, who ran into the problem that import only works once and of course
he didn't know the reload magic yet. This is also a problem which would
be solved by a "reset".

regards Gerrit
Gerrit Muller                Philips Research Laboratories Eindhoven
Building:   WDC 2 - 007              Prof. Holstlaan 4
Phone: +31 40 27 45242               5656 AA  Eindhoven
Fax:   +31 40 27 45033               The Netherlands
mailto:gerrit.muller at philips.com
http://www.extra.research.philips.com/natlab/sysarch/index.html