Guidelines for a fresh starter

Jeff Epler jepler at
Thu Oct 10 21:31:42 CEST 2002

On Thu, Oct 10, 2002 at 09:01:23PM +0200, Rhymes wrote:
> one above all:

Is this text really very good?  For instance, in the section "What's
in a name" (the second one I read), the author confuses the "print"
statement/keyword with a "'builtin-scope' name":
    def spam(X):
        if Z > W:
            # print is a 'builtin-scope' name
            print "2 x X is greater than X + 5"

For the real story on "print", see

For the real story on locals, module globals, and builtin variables, see