best way to learn

ed coo_t2 at
Tue Oct 22 05:20:20 CEST 2002

Hey all.  I'm a python newbie, but I have experience
in other very
high level languages, mainly php.
I was wondering what is the best way to become
proficient in python
I'm actually a pretty decent php programmer, so I
don't think I need
something that spends too much time on the basics(ie
loops and if
I just need to know how things work in python.

I did do the tutorial that comes with the distro, but
I need more than that.

Should I get a book, if so which one?
"Learning python", "programming python", "python
Or can I get pretty much everything I need on the web,
like a lot of
good tutorials and some good language references?

If I get a book I'd like to get one that works as a
newbie tutorial
but by the end of the book deals with some advanced
topics and will
also work somewhat well as a reference.  Is that
asking too much?

Should I trust the reviews at :)

Any guidance appreciated.

Do you Yahoo!?