SOAP frustrations

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Thu Oct 17 05:20:39 EDT 2002

martin at v.loewis.de (Martin v. Loewis) wrote in message news:<m3bs5thlce.fsf at mira.informatik.hu-berlin.de>...
> grahamd at dscpl.com.au (Graham Dumpleton) writes:
>
> > Okay, you could use Java as you client, but at that point you may as
> > well use something like RMI.
>
> Or you use Python.

Oh, forgot to mention one thing.

If one were to use JPython in a Java applet, we in part get back to the
same issue as this post was originally about. That is, the inadequacy of
SOAP implementations.

This is because if you were to use Python, you still have to talk to the
back end service somehow. Your choices would be to roll your own system
with your own protocol or using Python pickling to transfer data around,
or use an XML-RPC or SOAP implementation.

Thus we haven't really got anywhere. At least RMI and associated protocols
in Java present a more complete and robust base to start with.

The argument thus still stands that Python doesn't provide a really mature
way of implementing web services, which was where the original poster was
getting frustrated.