Ignoring comments - Parsing input file

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sat Oct 12 05:23:25 EDT 2002

Simon Faulkner wrote:

> I am writing a script which reads it's input from a text file
>
> What is the easiest way to make it ignore lines that start with # or
> blank lines?

Something like:

	while 1:
	    line = input.readline()
	    if not line:
	        break
	    if line[-1] == '\n':
	        line = line[:-1] # strip newline
	    if line.find('#') >= 0):
	        line = line.split('#', 1)[0] # remove everything
	    if not line:
	        continue # skip blank lines

If your lines are insensitive to whitespace, a line = line.strip() would
be in order there too.

/  \ When angry, count four; when very angry, swear.
\__/ Mark Twain
    Polly Wanna Cracka? / http://www.pollywannacracka.com/
 The Internet resource for interracial relationships.