Dynamic copy/paste using DDE with Python on Windows

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Wed Oct 16 18:54:58 EDT 2002

Anders M Eriksson wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 20:14:29 -0400, Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com>
> wrote:
>

>>I thought DDE was *way* deprecated by now, and long since replaced
>>by OLE, then OLE2 or something, then COM, then ActiveX, and probably
>>by now something else...
>>
> Since DDE is based on Windows Messages and Windows is really using
> Messages I don't think it will be deprecated any time in the
> foreseeable future!

That may be, but just because the underlying mechanism is still
in use may not be reason to say the beast called DDE that is built
on top of it is still a recommended approach.

>>Also, as far as I recall DDE was always broken in a number of,
>>uh, "interesting" ways and probably not worth your time trying
>>to get it working.  Maybe someone else will point out that
>>I'm wrong about that...
>>

> I can't recall anything that has been broken!?  Maybe the broken part
> has been the Python implementation?

My attempts to use it were with LabVIEW, and involved attempting
to copy "large" blobs of binary data around between LabVIEW and
a separate C program.  Mostly I recall discovering it could not
handle binary data fully (maybe no 0 bytes?) or could not handle
more than 65280 bytes at a time, or something ugly like that.

> For anyone that is interested in DDE, what it is, why you should use
> it, DDE vs COM, ... This FAQ has all the answers!
> http://www.angelfire.com/biz/rhaminisys/ddeinfo.html

Thanks, I should check that out.

-Peter