AttributeError with getmail.

Stefan - ZipKid - Goethals Stefan.Goethals at
Fri Oct 11 11:54:09 CEST 2002

I am assembling a cd-based linux system.
I installed python and getmail (

When i start getmail i get the following error:

   getmail version 2.3.9
   ConfParser version 3.1
   Python version 2.2 (#1, Mar 26 2002, 15:46:04)
[GCC 2.95.3 20010315 (SuSE)]

Unhandled exception follows:
     File "/usr/lib/getmail/", line 1569, in main
     getmail (account, _locals).go ()
     File "/usr/lib/getmail/", line 397, in __init__
     except socket.error, txt:
   AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'error'

The problem is NOT with getmail since an identical install on another
system works ok.

I am probably missing a lib or a file somewhere. As I now very little
about python, could someone point me in the correct direction please.

Stefan Goethals.

#Stefan - ZipKid - Goethals  stefan.goethals at #
# Linux User Group West Vlaanderen  # Vereniging voor Open Standaarden #