[OT} How to un-GPL parts of a GPL'd module.

Anton Vredegoor anton at vredegoor.doge.nl
Tue Oct 8 08:33:22 EDT 2002

Hello All,

how can I use a class or a function from a GLP'd module (cut-and-paste
style) in a module with BSD or public domain style release?

I guess I could e-mail the author for permission but if I would have
to wait for them to answer, it would slow my coding process down to a
snail's pace, and there's always the possibility of the author being
unwilling.

So that's not an option for me. I would rather rethink the problem and
start writing a new script.

But here's where the problem begins. Having seen the algorithm it's
almost impossible for me to forget it and write code as if I had never
seen it. On the other hand, is it enough to just cut and paste, change
maybe a few variable names, credit the author for the original concept
in the sourcode, send some email to inform the author and go on with
life?

I know a lot of people rely on writing sourcecode for a living but I
have been unemployed as a programmer for so long know that the concept
of owning sourcecode or getting payed for producing it is completely
alien to me. I think I'll be writing free sourcecode till I die just
hoping some pieces of my code will survive into eternity. If someone
has a problem with that, hire me.

Anton.