Report writer for Python?

Andy Dent dent at oofile.com.au
Wed Oct 16 22:37:55 EDT 2002

In article <3da9cd1d at monitor.lanset.com>, "Adams-Blake Co."
<aremovethiscanton at adamsremovethis-blake.com> wrote:

>I'm looking for an IDE similar to Crystal that
>will help me to quickly layout the reports and which will interface with a
>binary or a library or a whatever to allow me to feed the module an SQL
>string and the module or library takes it from there to output the report
The OOFILE report-writer was initially developed for a cross-platform
project to replace Crystal. One of the requirements was to make
maintenance easier for the developers - they had 150 templates in Crystal
and were sick of fiddling with them.

Based on a chapter in an an old favourite of mine "Programmers at Work" I
decided that whilst a reportwriter can allow you to exactly specify
layout, it should be able to produce reasonable results with no layout
specification or with minor hints, by knowing the data types and working
out relative column widths accordingly.

Thanks for the feedback.

--
Andy Dent BSc  MACS  AACM    http://www.oofile.com.au/
OOFILE - Database, Reports, Graphs, GUI for c++ on Mac, Unix & Windows