Aspell and

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Mon Oct 21 19:38:28 EDT 2002

Kevin Atkinson wrote:

>You misunderstand.  word-list-compress simply compresses and decompresses
>a sorted word list to save space.  It is not used in any way by Aspell
>itself.

I understood that word-list-compress was an offline utility, but I'm not
sure what you're using to search the compressed word-list on disk.  That
is, how does _Aspell_ make use of the data once it's been compressed?
 Is it something like a bisect algo with an index somewhere on disk to
the items in the file?  (I gather by your reaction that the entire
word-list is not all loaded into memory at run-time).

>leditdistance != typo edit distance.  leditdistance uses a different algo.
>than the normal edit distance algorithm.  The normal edit distance algorithm
>"editdist.cpp" and the typo edit distance algorithm "typo_editdist.cpp"
>are basically the same except for the weights.

Ah, I had thought those were older implementations that had been
superceded by the leditdistance algorithm (mostly because of the greater
number of comments in that one).  I think for the moment I'll just leave
the typo-distance code, and concentrate on the overall evironment.

>>It would seem that you'd need
>>each "swap" to be a lookup into the typo table.
>>

>Yes that is correct.  But it is not a "swap" but a replacement.  A swap is
>when the adjective letters are interchanged, "teh" vs. "the".

Thanks for the clarification,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder