Is the word "Python" copyrighted/trademarked?

Michael Stenner mstenner at phy.duke.edu
Tue Oct 1 16:40:37 EDT 2002

On Tue, Oct 01, 2002 at 03:12:32PM -0500, sismex01 at hebmex.com wrote:
> > From: Troels Therkelsen [mailto:t_therkelsen at hotmail.com]
> >
> > Hey everybody,
> >
> > My question is whether the word "Python" classifies as a PSF
> > trademark or trade name?  Eg., if I wanted to create a web
> > server in Python (not that I want to), could I call it
> > "Python Web Server" without breaking any rules?
>
> Hmmm... "Python" is the name of a snake, and it's also
> a common english word; I don't think it can be copyrighted.
>
> ¿Can it?

Copyright?  No.  Trademark?  Probably.  Trademarking is specific to a
market.  For example, even if it is trademarked in this case, I could
still certainly manufacture and sell a "Python" bike pump.

For example, "Windows" is trademarked by Microsoft.  That is in more
common usage than "python" and also refers to a common object.

					-Michael

(Actually, windows isn't a great example because "window" IS common
also in the "close that popup window" sense.  Just ignore that here.
The "there's a draft" sense is not problematic.)
--
  Michael Stenner                       Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics       mstenner at phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305