Python + Win32: Cut/Paste w/o GUI

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Sun Oct 6 12:20:06 EDT 2002

Steve Holden wrote:

<SNIP>

>>>Sadly, I don't believe that it can. Certainly attempts to drag-and-drop
>>
> text
>
>>>from another window change the cursor into a "no-entry" sign over
>>
> program
>
>>>icons, implying that Windows doesn't regard them as legitiamte drop
>>
> targets.
>
>>>Neither does the context-menu item on a program shortcut include a
>>
> "Paste"
>
>>>option.
>>>

>>Well you definitely *can* paste text to a DOS box, at least under Win2K.
>>You copy the text as usual, highight the DOS box and right click the
>
> mouse -
>
>>text pasted!
>>

> Yes, but that's pasting into a running program, not pasting into an icon
> which then runs the program and somehow makes the text available. Since

Yes, this was the behavior I wanted.  But , actually, as I think about it,
I don't recall having ever seen this done in any language, at least not
on Win32.  I guess you do have to have a running program to do the paste -
which was your original point, I guess ;)

> there have now been at least three different responses, apparently none of
> them doing what you want, perhaps you could be a little more explicit about
> your requirements?

The response from Roger Upole gave me what I wanted  - I wrote a script which grabs
the clipboard and parses it automatically to do what I need doing.

Thanks for taking the time to respond...

Tim Daneliuk
tundra at tundraware.com