Reports, PDF, and grid widget for Python?

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.com
Mon Oct 21 21:20:28 EDT 2002

In article <3db49604 at monitor.lanset.com>,
Adams-Blake Co. <aremovethiscanton at adamsremovethis-blake.com> wrote:
>Cameron Laird wrote:
>

>------------------------
>
>> It's simpler than this.  VB/IIS has ... given you a perspective
>> that is not universal.  It's simpler than this, really.
>>

>Nothing is ever simple. I've been doing business application design and
>programming for thirty years now. And while I don't know everything, nor do I
>even know a lot of anything, I do know that the very first sentence in this
>paragraph is true!
>
>What I want to do is re-write the application found here:
>

>http://www.adams-blake.com/item.asp?recordid=pubscreen&default=blankpagepub
>
>We want to take it out of VB 6 and make it x-platform. And best case, we
			.
			.
			.
>So to reiterate, NOTHING is easy. It may look easy when you don't write the
>checks and don't have the responsibility for the payroll, but running a
>software business today is not quite like it was 24 to 36 months ago. THEN it
>was easy!!
>
>Sorry this is so long but I didn't have time to make it shorter.
>
>Al Canton
>President
>Adams-Blake Company, Inc.
>Fair Oaks, CA
>www.adams-blake.com

Al, I'm not the enemy.  'Bet the payroll I have to pay is
at least as big as yours.  I said it's "simpler", not simple.

I still don't follow your description, even after looking
at "PUB123 - Screen Pix".  Briefly, are the reports you
want to generate "live"?  Are they coming from data on
your LAN, that you intend to flow out through a dial-up
connection?  Do I have that right?

Perhaps it would help to understand what you mean when you
say .NET meets all your requirements, apart from platform
lock-in.  How does .NET serve you better than VB 5, say?

Another question:  do you have a sense of whether it's
sufficient to your needs to use straightforward HTML tables,
and assume the users will see them through one of the mass-
market browsers?

My impressions remains that the architecture you need is
simpler than what you seem to have in mind.  Believe me, I
know how many details that leaves to be worked out.
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net