Subclassing FixedPoint

Doug Fort doug.fort at verizon.net
Tue Oct 15 17:20:31 EDT 2002

On Tue, 15 Oct 2002 14:04:42 +0000, Tim Peters wrote:

> [posted & mailed]
>
> [paul at nlhas.no]
>> Can anyone explain why the following fails when using the subclass
>> (recursion problem), but work using the base class?
>
> [Doug Fort]
>> I presume it's a bug too. I'm tied up with my day job right now.
>> I'll look into it when I get the chance. I fear it's related to
>> the use of __slots__, which I threw in just because it sounded cool.
>
> I've opened a bug report against Python on this:
>
>     http://www.python.org/sf/623669
>
> __slots__ are irrelevant here, but deriving from object is not.  I'm unclear
> on whether the change in behavior was intentional or is just a bug, so
> assigned that report to Guido for clarification.  A brute-force workaround
> (immune to choice of old-style vs new-style class) is explained at the
> bottom of that bug report.

Paul opened a bug against FixedPoint (#623491). I have assigned it to Joe,
because he found some problems with subclassing FixedPoint that are
unrelated to division.

I'm going to add some unit tests with subclasses to see if we can shake
out any more problems.

I don't think we're going to put out a new release for this. Joe should
have his fixes in CVS shortly.
--
Doug Fort, Programmer
http:/www.dougfort.net