Need help porting Prevayler (Java) to Python

djw dwelch at nospam.vcd.hp.com
Wed Oct 2 13:23:12 EDT 2002

Patrick K. O'Brien wrote:
> Prevayler is an interesting object persistence system written in Java that
> I'd like to see ported to Python. The system is simple, and the code is only
> a couple of hundred lines, so this should be relatively easy to do. I'm
> looking for people with good Java skills to help create a similar system in
> Python. Anyone interested?
>
> Details about Prevayler can be found at the following locations.
>
> SourceForge project: http://sourceforge.net/projects/prevayler
>
> Prevayler website: http://www.prevayler.org/
>
> Advogato discussion: http://www.advogato.org/article/398.html and
> http://www.advogato.org/article/479.html.
>
> IBM article:
> http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/wa-objprev/index.html
>
> Thanks,
>
> Pat
>
> --
> Patrick K. O'Brien
> Orbtech
> "Your source for Python programming expertise."
> Web:  http://www.orbtech.com/web/pobrien/
> Blog: http://www.orbtech.com/blog/pobrien/
> Wiki: http://www.orbtech.com/wiki/PatrickOBrien

How is this system different/same from Python's pickling system? I read
through the FAQ and some of the code, and it seems like it is just
serializing objects to a log file... isn't this what pickle does?
(Please excuse my rather naive question!)

Also, wouldn't you want some people who are experienced _Python_
programmers to do this, not Java programmers?

Just curious,