Decimal arithmatic, was Re: Python GUI app to impress the boss?

Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Wed Oct 2 00:55:03 EDT 2002

Chris Gonnerman fed this fish to the penguins on Tuesday 01 October
2002 06:21 pm:

> In other words, 0.7 * 0.05 should always be 0.035, and
> never 0.034999...

        When I took science classes, I'd have been dinged a few points if I
turned in 0.035 -- the rule was to report results to the same
significance as the inputs.

        0.7 * 0.05 => 0.0 in those science classes. The assumption here being
that the accuracy of measurements is such that the last supplied
decimal place is already an estimate -- one does not add places which
imply increased precision.

>>> print "%5f" % (0.7 * 0.05)
0.035000
>>> print "%5.3f" % (0.7 * 0.05)
0.035
>>> print "%5.2f" % (0.7 * 0.05)
 0.03
>>> print "%5.1f" % (0.7 * 0.05)
  0.0

        Any "formal" application likely has formatted output, and under those
constraints this example passes as "right"