Python-2.2.2 install

Tom bondpaper at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 21 21:15:33 EDT 2002

Hello,

I've downloaded and compiled the python-2.2.2 source on linux. I have a
couple of questions:

I also have python1.5 installed, and I'd like a sure-fire way to keep
the lib directories completely autonomous. I started out by renaming the
python binary to _python, and creating two-line bash script that exports
the appropriate values for the PYTHONPATH variable, but I'm wondering if
there's a better way.

Also, In looking through the new install, it appears as though the
_tkinter.so file provided is an old version (1.1-something). I'm not
sure why they'd include such a dated version of tkinter, but there's
always a chance I'm not clear on exactly what they've done here.

Thanks

Tom