New to python

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Tue Oct 22 09:18:31 EDT 2002

"e-tones.co.uk" <admin at e-tones.co.uk> wrote ...
> Hi all, im new to python, i have an oriely book on order, should get me
> going.
>
> Are there any decent reference sites I can peek at (im a seased programmer
> btw, so the fundamentals will be fine). I see that if you want to use a
> function you have to import it from the library at the top (grr :P),
anyhow,
> are there any more 'quirks' such as this I should know about ?

Sorry the language isn't psychic :-)

> Also, whats the easiest way to see what data type is help in a variable?
eg
> string, integer etc.

The type(v) built-in returns the type of a value v.

> And last but not least, whats the best place to find the different
exception
> handling techniques, the python.org site is obismal when compared to
php.net
> and the likes :( About as much use as a dead dog :(

I'm sure we're all looking forward to your helpful improvements ... ;-)

Good luck with Python. I'm sure you'll enjoy it once you get going.

regards
Previous .sig file retired to                    www.homeforoldsigs.com