Python-mysql: Still stuck.

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Tue Oct 8 22:21:23 EDT 2002

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002 23:57:33 +0000, ddoc <news at 92tr.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>mongo57a at comcast.net wrote:
>
>> Having (still) a problem getting MySQL and Python to work (MySQLdb), and
>> I'm running out of hair to pull out.
>
>I'm also finding it alarmingly hard to get on top of this.

I'm wondering if it's related to the compiler advisory at

    http://www.mysql.com/downloads/mysql-3.23.html

(fairly far down the page). In part:

"""
To determine if you should be concerned about this compiler issue, execute
gcc -v from the command prompt on your system. If the compiler reports
version 2.96, then there is a problem (this is the case, for example on RH 7.x
series or Mandrake 8.x). In this case, you should not try to compile your own
binary before downgrading to one of the compilers mentioned above. You
should also NOT use the MySQL server provided with your distribution -- as
this copy of MySQL was compiled with the same ill-advised compiler version.

The recommended solution in this case is to uninstall your distribution's
MySQL and replace it with the one of the MySQL binaries from
http://www.mysql.com/.
"""

Regards,
Bengt Richter