Dynamic copy/paste using DDE with Python on Windows

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Tue Oct 15 20:14:29 EDT 2002

Eric Brunel wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We'd like to add to a Windows application the possibility to make dynamic
> copy/paste: the user selects something in the application, pastes it
> elsewhere (e.g. Word...), and whenever the source is modified, the changes
> are automatically forwarded to the copy.
>
> AFAIK, the way to do that on Windows is DDE. But I can't find anywhere a
> simple sample code showing how to do that.

I thought DDE was *way* deprecated by now, and long since replaced
by OLE, then OLE2 or something, then COM, then ActiveX, and probably
by now something else...

Also, as far as I recall DDE was always broken in a number of,
uh, "interesting" ways and probably not worth your time trying
to get it working.  Maybe someone else will point out that
I'm wrong about that...

-Peter