Simple Thread Question

Steve Wilson stevew at
Wed Oct 16 22:39:05 CEST 2002

I'm currently using Python 2.2.1 on RedHat Linux 7.3 to run a
multi-threaded program.  I've noticed that instead of one python process I
have multiple python processes showing up in the process table(seen via
top/ps).  Each process appears to have allocated the same amount of memory
as the original python process, etc...  Should I see multiple interpreter
instances(processes) when running a threaded python program?  It almost
looks as though the code has forked/execed once for each thread.  Should
something else happen other than the ./configure, make, make install cycle
to properly set up thread support?

Thanks in advance,