Which Linux distribution

Mark McEahern marklists at mceahern.com
Sat Oct 5 08:11:01 EDT 2002

[Jaroslav Gresula]
> I've installed RH 7.3 recently and I'm pretty frustrated from their
> approach to Python packages. It is almost impossible to switch to
> Python 2.x version since majority of their scripts is based on 1.5.x.
> I've already read some guides how to accomplish that but it is PITN.
> I'm about to switch to different distribution and that's my question.
>
> What is your experience? What distribution would you recommend to me?
> My primary requirement on the distrubution is to have a nice Pyton
> environment with easy maintenance of multiple python versions.

This is a FAQ on comp.lang.python--unfortunately, it hasn't been documented
here:

  http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html

It would be great if you would research the archives (use
http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search), present a summary of major
points previously made, your opinion on the suggestions that have been made,
and whether you still have a question after that.  And, heck, while you're
at it, figure out how to add it to:

  http://www.python.org/doc/FAQ.html

Cheers,

// m