building extensions with gcc and python 2.2

Ken Seehof kseehof at
Sun Oct 13 20:09:23 CEST 2002

I'm developing a tool that involves dynamic compilation of python extensions.
Since I do not want to require my windows users to buy MSVC, I can no
longer use it build my extensions (i.e. the user needs to be able to

Therefore, I am experimenting with using gcc as my compiler.

Should I use Cygwin or Mingw?

I've found an ancient tome by Robert Kern suggesting Mingw:
It's very nice documentation, but unfortunately, it's for python 1.5.2 and is
dated Aug 09, 1999.  Is there any current documentation of that quality?

- Ken