Is the word "Python" copyrighted/trademarked?

David LeBlanc whisper at oz.net
Wed Oct 2 02:29:17 EDT 2002

But I've seen lots of "Python" and have yet to notice "Python(R)". In fact,
the startup message at a command prompt for Python does not use it, nor does
Idle. Has NCRI ever made it's ownership clear, issued guidelines for use or
defended it's mark?

I don't think (not sure) that languages can be trademarked anyway can they?
I doubt "English" or "english" can be marked? Would this extend to an
artificial language?

As for Jython and Stackless Python or almost anything (especially distint
vs. a generic term), a (TM) by it is easy enough and offers some protection.
I did this once with a term and got a nippy email back to the effect that I
supposed I thought I owned that term now.

Regards,

David LeBlanc
Seattle, WA USA