encoding python scripts

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Wed Oct 9 17:47:20 EDT 2002

"Spirit of Amiga" <spirit_of_amiga at h-o-t-m-a-i-l.com> wrote in message
news:291p9.17755$ZO1.822767 at news20.bellglobal.com...
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm sure this question has been asked before but I thought I'd troll for
> some fresh perspectives. I was wondering what approaches python developers
> have taken to encode and thus protect their commercial applications?
>
> I'm looking to migrate from PHP, which has Zend Encoder (and several
> others), but is a bit lightweight for my needs. In Python I believe I've
> found the light: code that reads like comments, however first I'd like to
> ascertain that I can protect my future commercial interests.
>
> Does such an avaricious mentality even exist in the Python community?

By and large, no it doesn't. A recent poster made a similar inquiry and the
general response was "handle that with licensing, not by trying to obscure
the code".

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/2002-September/122770.html
would be a good starting point without having this group rehash the whole
(sorry, slightly boring :-) discussion.

regards
Previous .sig file retired to                    www.homeforoldsigs.com