Future of Jython?

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Thu Oct 31 07:49:13 EST 2002

On Thu, 31 Oct 2002 01:47:59 -0500, Iwan van der Kleyn wrote:

> So I'm definitely left with the impression that as a project Jython is
> dying. I hope I'm wrong , so could anyone fill me in about the
> "condition" of Jython? Does it have a future?

The Jython mailing list is quite active - discussing the best way to
implement Python2.2 features such as generators.  This is non-trivial
because Jython works by compiling to Java bytecode.  The Python2.1
compatible release has been exceptionally stable - if it ain't broke,
don't fix it.

WRT Java scripting - while Jython is hands down the best full featured
dynamic scripting language for Java, if you want something with a very
small foot print, excellent Java integration, and simplicity, look at
Pnuts.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>