how to use smtp starttls() encryption?

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Thu Oct 17 02:57:51 EDT 2002

xucs007 at yahoo.com (Xu, C.S.) writes:

> The kmail from Mandrake Linux 9.0 can work with my smtp server,
> plus, it tested my smtp server uses TLS encryption, and uses
> LOGIN (not PLAIN, CRAM-MD5 etc) as the authentication method.

So you say that kmail uses AUTH LOGIN, and that AUTH PLAIN fails?

This indicates that your mail server is misconfigured or buggy: if it
first says that it supports AUTH PLAIN, but then refuses to accept you
when you use it, you should verify that the mail server works
correctly.

> Kmail does ask me whether I accept some certificate or not.

Yes, this is the server certificate that it asks you to accept. Python
accepts it silently.

> Now what should I do in python in order to send out mails?

Hard to tell. You can try to use a different mail server, or you can
try to use Python 2.2.2, and change preferred_auths to list AUTH_LOGIN
first.

Regards,
Martin