a question about mailman

Tim Roberts timr at probo.com
Tue Oct 1 00:05:23 EDT 2002

"Mark McEahern" <marklists at mceahern.com> wrote:

>Hmm, when I glanced at the code it looked like the order of processing in
>the pipeline was for the message to pass through the Archiver before the
>Dispatcher, so I just simplistically assumed: 1) that the Archiver added
>enough information to the message so that; 2) by the time the message got to
>the Dispatcher, you'd have enough information to format a pseudo string like
>this in the footer:

Mailman allows for external archivers.  Most installations just use the
built-in one, pipermail.

However, even with that, unless you modify the code otherwise, Mailman
spins off a separate thread to do the archiving.  Thus, there is no
guarantee that you know the actual URL by the time the message goes out.
- Tim Roberts, timr at probo.com
  Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.